Director of Food and Beverage
Owl’s Nest Resort is seeking a Director of Food and Beverage who is a highly motivated leader looking to join an innovative, creative, and rapidly growing resort.
Working closely with the senior management team, the Director ensures a quality dining experience for members, guests, and the public. The position requires a highly visible “hands-on” manager who will engage members and guests; provide training, guidance, and feedback to food and beverage staff; and follow best practices and Owl’s Nest policy in all situations. The Director must be an exceptional communicator; possess excellent personal interactive skills; and exhibit a high level of emotional intelligence. The Director is the primary coordinator of the resort’s food and beverage operation and experience, including: service, menu development, quality control, special events, member programming, budgeting, hiring, training, and supervision of all food and beverage staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all food and beverage production and service for the resort.
- Directly supervise the Executive Chef, Assistant Food and Beverage Manager, and Events Coordinator. Oversee work schedules to ensure staffing in accordance with business demands.
- Plan, direct, communicate, assign, and delegate responsibility and authority for the Food and Beverage operations, including events, weddings, conferences, on-course service, tournaments/group outings, and Stay & Play guest reservations.
- Plan and implement budgets, programming, and standard operating policy and procedures. Update and deploy pricing strategy to grow revenue. Ensure all areas (e.g., on-course, restaurant, events) are profitable.
- Instill a positive culture based on performance success in accordance with the Owl’s Nest vision.
- Mentor, hire, train, and supervise staff. Manage employee and team performance to ensure guest satisfaction. Lead on-going training initiatives and conduct training.
- Apply relevant marketing and customer service principles to ensure that members, guests, and clients are satisfied. Monitor and share guest feedback collected via surveys and in-person visits and develop strategies to achieve goals.
- Process payroll and distribute gratuities accurately. Ensures billing timeliness and accuracy.
- Effectively manage and control inventories, supplies, and equipment. Participate in monthly inventories of china, glass, silverware, uniforms, linens, food, liquor, and beverages to ensure accuracy and manage shrink.
- Engage with event and sales staff to best represent food and beverage offerings.
- Ensure that front- and back-of-house are clean, organized, and well-maintained to exceed guest and employee expectations.
- Maintain legal compliance, along with Owl’s Nest policies, procedures, and standards.
- Understand, communicate, and uphold all department policies and produces; enforce fairly and consistently with staff.
- May perform duties from other positions as needed or assigned to maintain proper operations of the resort property. Other duties as assigned by resort ownership.
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality or related area from an accredited educational institution; or equivalent combination of education and experience; or five to seven years of directly related professional experience in a resort, hotel, or restaurant environment. Management experience of food and beverage operations preferred.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Proven time management skills; excellent physical condition and stamina.
- Exceptional technological skills, including software applications/POS systems.
- The ability to analyze and act on financial data and sales trends.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include off-shift hours, emergency calls, holiday, and weekend assignments.
- Knowledge about food safety and handling in accordance with federal and state regulations, codes, and laws. Knowledge about proper alcohol service and state laws pertaining to alcohol service.
- Ability to work unsupervised on a variety of job tasks, from simple to complex.
- Organization and attention to detail, positive attitude, professional manner and appearance, commitment to exceptional customer service, and ability to work as part of a team.
- Must be able to lift and stack objects up to 50 pounds occasionally and frequently exert 10 to 20 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects.
- Work involves frequent periods of standing and walking.
- Work involves stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting/turning, reaching, and bending at the waist.