It’s no surprise that Owl’s Nest is best recognized for its beautifully maintained 18-hole, Nicklaus Design Golf Course. Fall is one of the best times to enjoy golf, cool yet comfortable weather, and peak foliage here at Owl’s Nest. But, what if you’re looking for something besides golf? If golf isn’t necessarily your thing, rest assured.
Our location on the edge of the White Mountains has a variety of fun activities and day trips for our fall vacation enthusiasts. Owl’s Nest provides the perfect home-base for anyone looking to enjoy a luxurious stay while still having the vast area of the White Mountains at their disposal. Let’s take a look at what our serene neck of the woods has to offer!
Family Friendly Hikes
The White Mountains offer an abundance of great hikes, almost all of them providing great views and a chance to see some wildlife along the way. Take a look at our list of some local favorites and start adventuring around Owl’s Nest today!
Smarts Brook, Smarts Brook Trailhead, Waterville Valley, Rte 49, NH
- This four-mile, relatively flat loop follows a flowing brook and has a number of swimming holes, perfect for a hot summer day. This is a great walk in the woods fit for anyone!
West Rattlesnake Mountain, West Rattlesnake Mountain Trailhead, Center Sandwich, NH
- Just under two miles round trip, this easy going out and back hike provides fantastic views overlooking the Lakes Region. One of the best “bang for your buck” hikes in the area, this trail is great for the whole family!
Welch and Dickey, Welch and Dickey Mountain Trail, Thornton, NH
- Slightly over four miles, the Welch and Dickey loop is a moderately challenging hike that provides fantastic near 360° views looking towards Franconia Notch and the Sandwich Mountain Range. This hike will leave you sweating but rewards you with worthwhile views!
Nearby Day Trip Adventures
Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram Ride, Franconia, NH
- The Franconia Notch State Park offers some of the best scenery in the White Mountains, and what better way to take it all in than on the Cannon Mountain Tram! The aerial tram takes visitors to the top of Cannon Mountain providing incredible 360° views of mountains in four different states and Canada. This budget and effort-friendly option is perfect for those who want to experience some of the best views in the Whites without breaking the bank or body.
COG Railway, Mount Washington, NH
- Experience the top of New England with the three-hour round trip COG railway adventure. The COG railway offers pristine views of the northern White Mountains and is a perfect option for those trying to see some incredible fall foliage from above the treeline. Taking a look at the Mount Washington Observatory museum or exploring the rugged yet magnificent upper alpine terrain are just some of the fun things guests can do on this day trip.
The Kancamagus Highway & Route 302, Lincoln, NH
- Looking for another way to take in the breathtaking fall foliage? The Kancamagus Highway in Lincoln, NH is a 35-mile byway that runs through the heart of the White Mountains. Throughout the journey, visitors enjoy beautiful lookouts and mountain views deep into the remote wilderness areas of NH. Considered one of the most scenic roads in the state, “The Kanc” (as the locals call it) reaches a high point of 2855’ in elevation and is a great way for leaf peepers and fall lovers alike to enjoy peak foliage in NH.