Looking for a delicious, low carb way to feed the family that’s fresh, bright, and filling? Try our Eggplant Rollatini that serves 4-6 people. Keep it vegetarian or add a protein to the sauces, it’s up to you what twist you want to put on it!
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, 1/8” lengthwise slices
- 3-4 large eggs
- 1 oz of fresh basil, chiffonade
- 3 cups of milk
- ½ tablespoon of nutmeg
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon of onion powder
- ¼ – ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Ricotta
- 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine the milk and nutmeg in a deep container, also add a pinch or two of salt. Stir it up and add the sliced eggplants. Make sure that milk gets in between each slice and that they are fully submerged, so it can absorb the liquid. Let it soak for 30-40 minutes.
3. Combine flour, garlic powder, and onion powder in the same container as the breading. In a separate container beat the eggs and add the 1 oz of basil to it.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the filling and put aside for later use.
5. After the 30-40 minute soak time, strain the eggplant. Then dredge the eggplant in the seasoned flour before transferring it to the egg wash.
6. Preheat a frying pan to medium-high heat with the vegetable oil. Also, have a sheet pan with paper towels on standby. Go straight from the egg wash to the hot oil.
7. Sear until golden brown on both sides and then place on the sheet pan with paper towels to drain excess oil.
8. Once all the eggplant has been seared allow it to cool down to make it easier to work with. Then place about 3 oz of the filling on the center of each eggplant and roll lengthwise.
9. Take your favorite red sauce or white sauce and place a thin layer at the bottom of an oven-safe pan. Place your rollatini over the sauce and add more sauce on top of each one. Cover with parchment paper and aluminum foil.
10. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs or cheese.
This is an excellent recipe to make with the whole family, and it’s an even better meal to eat with your family! Send us photos of your variation of this recipe, we’d love to see your final product.